Sutter Health Network Employees Raise More Than a Half-Million Dollars for March of Dimes
Sutter Ranks # 1 Among Health Systems Contributing to the Cause Nationwide
SACRAMENTO, Calif. Oct. 14, 2010 - Trisha Hogan didn’t know what to expect when her twins were born nearly three months early. Delivered at 28 weeks at Sutter-affiliated Memorial Hospital Los Banos, Shane and Samantha Hogan each weighed less than three pounds. Within an hour of birth, the siblings were separated. Shane was rushed to surgery to close two holes in his heart and receive multiple blood transfusions. Although Samantha had a hole in her heart that closed on its own, she also required an immediate blood transfusion.
Trisha, who happens to be a pharmacy technician at Sutter-affiliated Memorial Hospital Los Banos, is one among thousands of employees across the not-for-profit Sutter Health network who devoted time and energy to raise more than $630,000 in 2010 for the March of Dimes March for Babies. “I’ve always been a supporter of the March of Dimes,” Trisha added, “but since my family’s experience I now am more actively involved with this important organization. I want to make sure the research continues so more premature newborns can survive like mine did.”
In the past 13 years, Sutter has raised more than $4.6 million for the cause and this year’s contribution ranks No. 1 among all health systems supporting the March of Dimes March for Babies nationwide. As the presenting sponsor of March for Babies in Northern California, Sutter Health supports March of Dimes’ efforts to fight premature birth, educate expectant mothers about prenatal health and launch awareness programs to prevent birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality.
“March of Dimes and Sutter Health share the same passion of improving the health of babies. We have worked with the medical community, legislators and the families in our communities to ensure mothers have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies,” said Dani Montague, State Director of the March of Dimes. “The partnership March of Dimes shares with Sutter Health is unique in that we work together, both programmatically and on fundraising opportunities, to develop and implement mission-critical programs.”
More Ways Sutter Health Supports March of Dimes:
- Sutter Health affiliated hospitals are regional leaders in women’s and children’s services. Over 37,190 babies were born at Sutter hospitals in 2009 - more than any other health system in Northern California. According to the March of Dimes, one in 10 babies is born too soon in California.
- Regional Co-Chairs for March of Dimes 2011 March for Babies Campaign include Sutter leaders from across Northern California:
- Dave Benn, President, Sutter Health Central Valley Region, 2011 Valley March for Babies Chair
- Tom Blinn, CEO, Sutter Medical Foundation and Pat Brady, CEO, Sutter Roseville Medical Center, 2011 Greater Capital March for Babies Co-Chairs
- Bernadette Smith, Vice President Women & Children’s Services & Chief Administrative Officer California Campus, California Pacific Medical Center, 2011 San Francisco March for Babies Chair
- Sutter Health and March of Dimes partner frequently on collaborative awareness efforts, including a recent video about "Why the Last Weeks of Pregnancy Count"
About Sutter Health
Serving patients and their families in more than 100 Northern California cities and towns, Sutter Health doctors, not-for-profit hospitals and other health care service providers share resources and expertise to advance health care quality and access. The Sutter Medical Network includes many of California’s top-performing, highest quality physician organizations as measured annually by the Integrated Healthcare Association. Sutter-affiliated hospitals are regional leaders in cardiac care, women’s and children’s services, cancer care, orthopedics and advanced patient safety technology.
For more information about the not-for-profit Sutter Health network, please visit
SutterHealth.org/about/ | www.Facebook.com/SutterHealth | www.YouTube.com/SutterHealth
About the California Chapter of the March of Dimes
The March of Dimes is the leading nonprofit organization for pregnancy and baby health. With chapters nationwide and its premier event, March for Babies®, the March of Dimes works to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality.
For the latest resources and information, visit www.marchofdimes.com or www.nacersano.org.
(916) 286-6695 (media line)
March of Dimes
State Director of Communications