Sutter Health Among the Nation’s Top Employers According to Readers of CAREERS & the disABLED Magazine
SACRAMENTO, Calif., Feb. 9, 2011 - Sutter Health ranks #24 on the “Top 50 Employers” list by CAREERS & the disABLED magazine.
The magazine’s Annual Reader Survey determined the rankings. It asked readers to identify the top companies across the nation for which they would most prefer to work or viewed as having a positive working environment for people with disabilities.
In 2008, Sutter Health adopted comprehensive plans for improved access under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Since then, Sutter has invested tens of thousands of hours and millions of dollars to improve access to medical services by patients with disabilities.
“Few organizations have made such a commitment, but at Sutter Health, the goal of accessible patient care is a top priority,” said Carol Bradley, disability compliance officer for Sutter Health, in an interview with CAREERS & the disABLED. “[Our] coordinated approach helps ensure seamless access to quality treatment.”
Some of Sutter Health’s recent accomplishments include:
- Designated and trained 36 system and affiliate-based ADA coordinators to further improve health care access for people with disabilities – now and in the future.
- Surveyed dozens of affiliate care centers to identify opportunities to improve the physical access of facilities.
- Began assessing existing medical equipment at our care centers including beds, exam tables, scales and medical chairs. Through these surveys we’re identifying any gaps and opportunities to potentially purchase new equipment.
- Established seven new organizational policies to help ensure all patients – including those with disabilities – have easy access to quality health care services.
- Identified and began implementing extensive updates to our website to improve access by individuals with disabilities.
- Consulted directly with persons with disabilities to share their experiences and challenges with accessing health care.
Hear what Sutter patient Mary Smith has to say about the network’s commitment to health care access for patients of all abilities (MP3) | Audio transcript
Quality and Safety
Learn about Sutter Health's focus on quality care and patient safety
Collaboration and Investing in Communities
Learn how Sutter Health’s network doctors, hospitals and other caregivers work together to care for patients
About Sutter Health
Serving patients and their families in more than 100 Northern California cities and towns, Sutter Health doctors, not-for-profit hospitals and other health care service providers share resources and expertise to advance health care quality and access. The Sutter Medical Network includes many of California’s top-performing, highest quality physician organizations as measured annually by the Integrated Healthcare Association. Sutter-affiliated hospitals are regional leaders in cardiac care, women’s and children’s services, cancer care, orthopedics and advanced patient safety technology.
For more information about the not-for-profit Sutter Health network, please visit:
SutterHealth.org/about/ | www.Facebook.com/SutterHealth | www.YouTube.com/SutterHealth
Sutter Health Media Line