(Board Certified in Podiatric Surgery in Foot & Ankle Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery
Fellow, American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine)
Accepting new patients
Please contact physician's office to see if they are accepting new patients.
Offers My Health Online
Patient Satisfaction Rating
Education & Training
William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, IL, 1988
Veterans Administration Medical Center, IL
American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons, American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine
Achilles tendonitis, Ankle reconstructive surgery, Endoscopic plantar fascia surgery, Flat foot correction, Foot ulcer management, Fracture care, Hallux rigidus, Heel pain, High arch feet, Lisfranc's fracture, Osteochondral injuries, Overuse injuries, Reconstructive surgery, Shockwave therapy, Sports medicine,
See more + Click to expand Professional interests
Clinical & research interests include sports medicine/running injuries, acute and chronic ankle pain (ankle osteochondral injuries), Achilles and Peroneal Tendons, stress fractures (especially Navicular and Jones), midfoot injuries (Lisfranc's), revision surgery, flatfoot surgery and 1st MPJT arthritis.
German (Very Good)
Fellow American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons, American Academy Podiatric Sports Medicine (which he was presented the Schuster Award for outstanding research in 2011), and serves as section Chief of Podiatric Section at Stanford University Hospital.
Dr. Saxena is married and has three children. He enjoys traveling the world. He participated in the Boston Marathon and World Duathlon (Run-Bike-Run) Championships several times. He is a volunteer soccer referee and road race organizer.
Physician Web Link
1. Naviculo-cuneiform coalition: case reports of two sibling soccer players 2016 J Foot Ankle Surg
2. Chapter: Shoes for Cross-training: in Athletic Footwear M Werd (Ed) Springer 2016
3. Subtalar Arthroeresis: Prospective study on 100 adult patients 2016 J Foot Ankle Surg
4. Current evidence of extracorporeal shock wave therapy in chronic Achilles tendinopathy 2015 Int J Surg
5. Clinical relative effectiveness of focused ESWT in the treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis 2015 J Bone Joint Surg
6. Rate of Surgical Site Infection Following the Implementation of an Antibiotic Prophylaxis Protocol. J. American Society of Podiatric Surgeons 2014
7. Endoscopic Gastrocnemius Recession in Arthroskopie Fuss- und Sprunggelenk (German)
8. Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy in Arthroskopie Fuss- und Sprunggelenk (German)
9. Medial locking plate versus two screw fixation for fixation of the Ludloff Osteotomy, J Foot Ankle Surg, 2013
10. Comparison between Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy, Placebo ESWT and Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy for the Treatment of Chronic Plantar Heel Pain in the Athlete. J Musc Lig Tend, 2013
11. A unique procedure for treatment of Osteochondral lesions of the Tarsal Navicular: three cases in athletes. J Foot Ankle Surg, 2013
12. Vibration and Pressure Wave Therapy for Calf Strains: a Proposed Treatment. J Musc Lig Tend 2013
13. Commentary in Foot & Ankle Quarterly on "Treatment of Achilles Tendinopathy with Platelet-Rich Plasma", 2013
14. Commentary in Foot & Ankle Quarterly on "Surgical Interventions for treating acute Achilles tendon rupture: key findings from a recent Cochrane Review", 2013
15. Plantar Fascia injuries in athletes (Ch 32) in Foot & Ankle in Sport, (Altchek et al, eds, Lippincott) Nov. 2012
16. Endoscopic Gastrocnemius Recession J Arthroskopie (German) Nov 2011
17. Use of a novel treadmill for rehabilitation of the Achilles tendon: a pilot study (Poster @ 2010 ACFAS Ann'l Meeting)J Foot Ankle Surg 50(5) 2011
18. Magnetic Resonance Imaging and incidental findings of lateral ankle pathological features with asymptomatic ankles (presented @ 2010 ACFAS Ann'l meeting) J Foot Ankle Surg 50(4) 2011
19. Extra-corporeal Pulsed-activated Therapy("EPAT" Soundwave) for Achilles tendinopathy: a prospective study J Foot Ankle Surg 50(3) 2011
20. Post-operative physical therapy in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
21. Endoscopic Gastrocnemius recession in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
22. Anterior Ankle & Subtalar Arthroscopy in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
23. Acute Achilles & other tendon ruptures in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
24. Os Trigonum Syndrome in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
25. Ankle OCDS in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
26. Plantar Fasciitis in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
27. Lisfranc's sprains in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
28. Stress Fractures: Jones, Navicular and Medial Malleolar in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
29. Turf Toe in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
30. Peroneal Tendonopathy in International Advances in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Springer 2011
Full list of published journal articles on PubMed
Philosophy of Care
Dr. Saxena's practice specializes in Sports Medicine and Foot & Ankle Surgery, incorporated into the Palo Alto (CA) Foundation Medical Groups' multispecialty Sports Medicine department in 1993, in the home town where he was born and raised.
He has pioneered several surgical techniques (such as the endoscopic Gastrocnemius recession and other Achilles procedures), classifications and instruments (including a bone grafting retractor, an arthroscopic drill guide and various locking plates). He is an international and nationally recognized surgeon, speaker and author, and has published over 100 articles and chapters including in dozens of orthopedic journals and texts. Dr. Saxena is the editor of "International Advances in Foot and Ankle Surgery" (Springer 2012), a unique text of internationally re-known podiatric, orthopedic and trauma surgeons with 45 chapters, and 68 authors. Also editor of two sub-texts "Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery of the Foot and Ankle" and "Special Procedures in Foot & Ankle Surgery".
Dr. Saxena serves on the editorial Board for Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery and for Muscle, Ligament & Tendon (Italian). He is an instructor for the German Association for Foot Surgery (www.gffc.de). He serves as consulting Podiatrist for Nike Oregon Project, Bay Area Track Club and local high school athletic teams. He has been director of Fellowship training at PAMF since 1999. In 2004 he was awarded Humanitarian of the year by the CPMA . He currently has treated and operated on dozens of Olympians from around the world (including Gold Medalists and world record holders), and Olympic Trials qualifiers, numerous professional athletes including from the Nike Oregon Project, Golden State Warriors San Francisco Giants and 49ers, and San Jose Earthquakes, and many top area high school athletic scholarship winners.
Dr. Saxena has been awarded Alumnus of the Year and Honor Medal from Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine during their centennial anniversary (2012). He has competed in several Boston Marathons and Duathlon (run, bike, run) World Championships. He is married and has three children. Co-Founder, along with his wife who is race director, of the "Juana Run", which has raised over $250,000.00 for Palo Alto local schools since 1997.
This physician directory is provided as a convenience to you. It is not intended as a recommendation, referral, or endorsement of any particular provider. Physicians are not employees or agents of Sutter Health or its affiliates. The information is submitted by each doctor and we make no guarantee or warranty as to the accuracy of the information. Sutter Health is not responsible for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on this information. You should verify the accuracy of the information directly with the physician's office.
All doctors on this site are affiliated with Sutter Health's network of care - members of the medical staff of Sutter-affiliated hospitals, affiliated medical groups, and independent practice associations that participate in clinical initiatives. Doctors do not pay a fee to be included in this directory. If a physician ceases to fall within one of the categories noted, he/she would no longer be listed on the site. Doctors meeting your search criteria are presented in alphabetical order by last name, or by geographic proximity if a zip code has been used as search criterion.