Critical Incident Stress Debriefing
Sutter EAP provides Critical Incident Stress Debriefings (CISD) when requested and authorized by management. Critical Incidents can include injury or death of a co-worker, violence in the workplace, robberies or verbal and/or physical assault. In addition there are many other kinds of events, which may trigger the need for a CISD. To request a Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, contact Sutter EAP at (800) 477-2258.
CISD are facilitated on site by a licensed mental health professional. The facilitator assesses the needs of the employees and staff, adapting their intervention to meet the specific needs of the organization.
While the ideal time frame for CISD is between 24 and 72 hours of the event, some employers desire a more immediate response to Critical Incidents. Sutter EAP works with employers to pre-plan individualized responses to Critical Incidents.
The program follows the guidelines of the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation, Inc., 3290 Pine Orchard Lane, Suite 106, Ellicott City, MD 21042.
In addition, the program facilitators are under the direct guidance of Diane Dufford, LCSW, a member of ICISF, Inc., with over 15 years' experience in Critical Incident Stress Management.
Program Highlights (Program offers education and support to management and employees)
- Within 12 hours after crisis (preferably same day)
- 20-45 minutes in length
- Reduce acute stress and tension levels
- Three-phase process
- Exploration of nature and impact of crisis; participants asked about facts and reactions
- Note: Allows employees to share experience and reactions; participation is voluntary
- 24 hours to 10 days after event
- 7-step process (2-3 hours)
- Note: Brings closure to event