10 tips for an effective interview
- Learn as much about the company as you can prior to your interview.
- Practice interviewing with friends, family or with yourself in front of a mirror.
- Arrive on time, dress professionally and make frequent eye contact.
- Speak slowly and clearly and don’t be afraid to pause for a moment to collect your thoughts.
- If you don’t understand a question or need a moment to think about it, say so and never pretend to know something you don’t.
- Be sincere and truthful while focusing on communicating your specific professional achievements that relate to the job requirements.
- Ask questions like, “What would I be expected to accomplish in this position?” and “What are the greatest challenges in this position?”
- Be prepared to ask questions that are based on your research of the company and industry.
- Reiterate your interest in the job and the company by asking about the next step in the process.
- Ask the interviewer for a business card and send a thank-you note or email as soon as possible.