Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
When To Call a Doctor
Call a doctor if:
- Your child is showing signs of ADHD that are causing problems at home or school. These signs include Reference inattention, Reference impulsivity, and/or Reference hyperactivity. Parents and teachers often notice this behavior during the child's first few years in school.
- Your child shows signs of other mental health disorders, such as Reference depression Opens New Window or Reference anxiety Opens New Window, that last more than a few weeks or seem to be getting worse.
- Your child is having academic or behavioral problems at school.
Ask your doctor about his or her training and experience related to ADHD. The doctor must be able to identify and distinguish behaviors that can be subtle and complicated. Also, make sure that your doctor has enough time to evaluate you or your child. Accurate diagnosis and successful treatment of ADHD takes repeated office visits and observations. Your doctor should also be able to coordinate between other health professionals, family members, teachers, and caregivers.
Who to see
Health professionals who can diagnose and treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with medicine include:
- Reference Family medicine doctors Opens New Window.
- Reference Pediatricians Opens New Window (may specialize in developmental problems).
- Reference Psychiatrists Opens New Window (may specialize in adults or children and adolescents).
- Reference Neurologists Opens New Window (may specialize in child or adult nervous systems).
- Reference Nurse practitioners Opens New Window who specialize in psychiatry or pediatrics.
Health professionals who do not prescribe medicines but can provide behavior therapy or family counseling include:
- Reference Psychologists Opens New Window. Psychologists also frequently diagnose ADHD.
- Behavioral specialists.
- Reference Social workers Opens New Window.
- Psychiatric nurse specialists.
- Licensed professional counselors.
- Family therapists.
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Reference Making the Most of Your Appointment.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference February 2, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Louis Pellegrino, MD - Developmental Pediatrics