Bone Mineral Density
Why It Is Done
A bone mineral density (BMD) test is suggested for:
- All women who are age 65 or older, and younger women who are at increased risk for broken bones caused by osteoporosis.Reference 1
- Men with risk factors for osteoporosis, such as being older than 70.
- Men and women who have Reference hyperparathyroidism Opens New Window.
- Men and women who have been taking Reference corticosteroids Opens New Window, such as prednisone, for a long time.
- Follow-up of how well treatment for osteoporosis is working for men and women being treated for 2 years or longer.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference August 30, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Carla J. Herman, MD, MPH - Geriatric Medicine
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.