Other Conditions With Symptoms Similar to Prostatitis
Other conditions that may need to be ruled out when diagnosing Reference prostatitis Opens New Window include:
- A Reference bladder infection Opens New Window.
- Reference Urethritis Opens New Window, especially if caused by a sexually transmitted infection, such as Reference chlamydia Opens New Window.
- A Reference kidney infection Opens New Window.
- Prostate enlargement (benign prostatic hyperplasia [Reference BPH Opens New Window] or prostate cancer).
- Presence of a Reference bladder Opens New Window or Reference kidney stone Opens New Window.
- A narrow spot in the Reference urethra Opens New Window.
- Inflammation or irritation of the bladder (interstitial cystitis), which is rare in men.
- Complete inability to urinate (acute urinary retention).
- Bladder cancer.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: December 3, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference J. Curtis Nickel, MD, FRCSC - Urology