Abdominal Pain in Babies and Toddlers
Common causes of abdominal pain in babies and toddlers include:
- Reference Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) Opens New Window.
- Gas from overfeeding or milk intolerance.
- Spitting up.
Less common causes of abdominal pain in this age group include:
- Reference Injury to the abdomen.
- Reference Inguinal hernia Opens New Window.
- Reference Bladder infections Opens New Window (urinary tract infections).
Uncommon causes of abdominal pain in this age group include:
- Reference Appendicitis Opens New Window. Abdominal pain before age 2 is rarely caused by appendicitis.
- Reference Intussusception Opens New Window.
- Reference Hirschsprung's disease Opens New Window.
- Reference Lead poisoning Opens New Window.
- Reference Malrotation Opens New Window.
- Reference Pyloric stenosis Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: January 13, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine