Treating a Severe Allergic Reaction
If you have symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, call 911 or other emergency services immediately.
- If your doctor has prescribed an
Reference allergy kit, use the kit if:
- Your symptoms are severe.
- You have a kit immediately available.
- You have been taught how and when to use the kit.
- You have had a severe reaction in the past from the same type of sting, bite, food, or medicine (Reference allergens Opens New Window), and similar symptoms are developing.
- Take an antihistamine, such as Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton, to help reduce your symptoms. Read and follow any warnings on the label.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 29, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine