Ashkenazi Jewish Genetic Panel (AJGP)
Why Not Be Tested?
There may be reasons you would choose not to have the carrier tests.
- You are already pregnant and the results will not affect your decision to continue your pregnancy.
- Carrier tests are expensive. You may decide not to have the tests if your insurance does not pay for them.
- The tests are not 100% accurate. There is a small chance that you are a carrier even if the results are normal (Reference false-negative Opens New Window).
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference March 28, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Patrice Burgess, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Siobhan M. Dolan, MD, MPH - Reproductive Genetics
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
- What Are Ashkenazi Jewish Genetic Diseases?
- Health Tools
- What Is an Ashkenazi Jewish Genetic Panel (AJGP)?
- What Is Carrier Screening?
- Who Should Be Tested?
- What If I Am a Carrier?
- Is the Test Accurate?
- Should I Be Tested?
- Why Not Be Tested?
- Other Places To Get Help
- Related Information