Fitness: Adding More Activity to Your Life
If you have decided to get more active, congratulations! Making that decision is an important first step in becoming a healthier person.
Keep these key points in mind:
- Being fit helps you look and feel your best and reduces your risk for a heart attack, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and some cancers.
- Knowing why you want to get more active can help you make a change.
- Start with small, short-term goals that you can reach pretty easily. It's easier to stick to something new when you have early, frequent successes.
- Support from family and friends can go a long way toward helping you find success in becoming more active. Don't be afraid to let them know what you're trying to do—and ask for their help.
- If you're worried about how more activity might affect your health, have a checkup before you start. Follow any special advice that your doctor gives you for getting a smart start.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: October 26, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Heather Chambliss, PhD - Exercise Science