What Affects the Test
Inaccurate temperature readings can be caused by:
- Not keeping your mouth closed around the thermometer when taking an oral temperature.
- Not leaving a thermometer in place long enough before reading it.
- Not putting the proper thermometer in the right place.
- Not following the instructions for proper use that come with the thermometer.
- A weak or dead thermometer battery.
- Taking an oral temperature within 20 minutes after smoking or drinking a hot or cold liquid.
- Taking a temperature by any method within an hour of exercising vigorously or taking a hot bath.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference November 13, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
Reference Thomas Emmett Francoeur, MD, MDCM, CSPQ, FRCPC - Pediatrics
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.