List of Supplies for Testing Blood Sugar
The supplies you need for testing your blood sugar at home when you have Reference diabetes Opens New Window include:
- A blood sugar meter (blood glucose meter).
- Testing strips that are designed for use with your meter.
- Sugar control solution that is designed for use with your meter.
- Lancets, which are short needles specifically made for sticking your finger or other sites, such as your forearm.
- A pen-sized lancet device, which holds and positions the lancet as well as controls how deeply it goes into your skin.
- Clean cotton balls or tissues, which are used to stop bleeding.
If you don't have the supplies you need to test your blood sugar, you can find them at most drugstores as well as at larger grocery or discount stores that have a pharmacy. Shop around for the best price for your supplies. You also can get some supplies through the mail. Your health insurance may cover the cost of these supplies. You most likely will need a prescription from your doctor to be reimbursed for your purchase.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: July 19, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Rhonda O'Brien, MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator