Self-Test for Breath Alcohol
A breath alcohol test is an estimate of your blood alcohol concentration (BAC). The test measures the amount of alcohol in the air that you breathe out (exhale). Results are ready right away.
Manual (glass tube/balloon) test
To read the glass tube breath alcohol test, count the number of yellow bands of crystals that turn green.
- 1 green band roughly corresponds to a BAC of 0.00 to 0.05.
- 2 green bands roughly corresponds to a BAC of 0.05 to 0.10.
- 3 green bands roughly corresponds to a BAC of 0.10 to 0.15.
Electronic breath alcohol meter
Some electronic devices have a "traffic light" display.
- A green light means a BAC below 0.04.
- A yellow light means a BAC between 0.04 and 0.08.
- A red light means a BAC above 0.08.
Some devices display the results as an estimated BAC numerical value.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference November 8, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology