Try one of the following home treatment measures to resolve a scalp problem.
- Try Reference home treatment for dandruff, such as using an antidandruff shampoo for dandruff that causes white flakes on your head.
- Perform a Reference skin self-exam to help identify suspicious scalp growths. Part your hair to look at your scalp. If you have trouble seeing your scalp, ask a friend or family member to check the spot for you.
- If your baby has yellow
crusting on his or her scalp, try home treatment for cradle cap.
- An hour before shampooing, rub your baby's scalp with baby oil, mineral oil, or petroleum jelly to help lift the crusts and loosen scales.
- When ready to shampoo, first get the scalp wet, then gently scrub the scalp with a soft-bristle brush (a soft toothbrush works well) for a few minutes to remove the scales. You can also try gently removing the scales with a fine-tooth comb.
- Then wash the scalp with baby shampoo, rinse well, and gently towel dry.
- If your baby has a bald spot at the back or side of the scalp, change your baby's position frequently. Lying in one position may be causing the bald spot.
There may be other things you can do at home for other kinds of scalp problems.
- For treating Reference head lice Opens New Window Reference Opens New Window effectively, see the topic Reference Lice.
- For hair pulling that may be related to stress, see the topic Reference Stress Management.
- For Reference ringworm Opens New Window, see the topic Reference Ringworm of the Scalp or Beard.
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Reference Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home treatment:
- Reference Signs of a skin infection Opens New Window develop.
- Symptoms become more severe or frequent or do not go away.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 26, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine