Colchicine reduces the inflammatory (swelling) response and pain in people with gout (high uric acid blood levels leading to painful accumulation of uric acid crystals in and around joints).
Summary of Interactions with Vitamins, Herbs, & Foods
Replenish Depleted Nutrients
Colchicine may interfere with vitamin B12 in the body. Research is inconsistent. Both colchicine and vitamin B12 deficiency are reported to cause neuropathies (disorders of the nervous system), but it remains unclear whether neuropathies caused by colchicine could be due to vitamin B12 depletion.3 , 4The interaction is supported by preliminary, weak, fragmentary, and/or contradictory scientific evidence.
Reduce Side Effects
Teas and Herbs with Tannin
Tannins are a group of unrelated chemicals that give plants an astringent taste. Herbs with large amounts of tannins may interfere with the absorption of codeine and should not be taken together with codeine or codeine-containing products.5 Herbs containing high levels of tannins include green tea (Camellia sinensis), black tea, uva ursi (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi), black walnut (Juglans nigra), red raspberry (Rubus idaeus), oak (Quercus spp.), and witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana).The interaction is supported by preliminary, weak, fragmentary, and/or contradictory scientific evidence.
Potential Negative Interaction
1. Werbach MR. Foundations of Nutritional Medicine. Tarzana, CA: Third Line Press, 1997, 223?4 [review].
2. Werbach MR. Foundations of Nutritional Medicine. Tarzana, CA: Third Line Press, 1997, 223?4 [review].
3. Palopoli JJ, Waxman J. Colchicine neuropathy or vitamin B12 deficiency neuropathy? N Engl J Med 1987;317:1290 [letter].
4. Kuncl RW et al. Colchicine neuropathy or vitamin B12 deficiency neuropathy? N Engl J Med 1987;317:1290?1 [letter].
5. Brinker F. Interactions of pharmaceutical and botanical medicines. J Naturopathic Med 1997;7(2):14?20.
6. Werbach MR. Foundations of Nutritional Medicine. Tarzana, CA: Third Line Press, 1997, 223?4 [review].
Last Review: 05-01-2013
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Please read the disclaimer about the limitations of the information provided here. Do NOT rely solely on the information in this article. The Aisle7 knowledgebase does not contain every possible interaction.
The information presented in Aisle7 is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals. For many of the conditions discussed, treatment with prescription or over-the-counter medication is also available. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.
Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.