Lung Function Tests
Why It Is Done
Lung function tests are done to:
- Determine the cause of breathing problems.
- Diagnose certain lung diseases, such as Reference asthma Opens New Window or Reference chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) Opens New Window.
- Evaluate a person's lung function before surgery.
- Check the lung function of a person who is regularly exposed to substances such as asbestos that can damage the lungs.
- Check the effectiveness of treatment for lung diseases.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 28, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Mark A. Rasmus, MD - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Sleep Medicine
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.