You may be able to prevent menstrual cramps.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables and is low in fat. Limit your intake of alcohol, caffeine, salt, and sweets. For more information, see the topic Reference Healthy Eating.
- Begin or maintain a moderate exercise schedule. For more information, see the topic Reference Fitness.
- Reduce stress in your life. Although stress does not cause menstrual cramps, reducing stress can make your symptoms less severe. For more information, see the topic Reference Stress Management.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.
- Try Reference biofeedback or Reference yoga. Both therapies teach relaxation skills.
- Try Reference acupuncture Opens New Window or acupressure.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference June 20, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference David Messenger, MD
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.