Healing Body and Mind
Ideas for mind-body wellness
Reference Reference Relaxing your mind and body can help ease stress. It can also relieve anxiety, depression, and sleep problems. Try one or more of the following techniques to help you relax:
- Reference Reference Yoga includes breathing, meditation, and exercises, called postures or poses, that stretch the body.
- Reference Reference Progressive muscle relaxation involves tensing and relaxing each muscle group to reduce anxiety and muscle tension. If you have trouble falling asleep, this method may also help with sleep problems.
- Reference Mindfulness-based stress reduction focuses your attention on things that are happening in the present moment. The idea is just to note what is happening without trying to change it.
- Reference Reference Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress. When you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. The brain then sends this message to your body.
- Reference Reference Guided imagery is a technique in which you imagine yourself in a setting that helps you feel calm and relaxed.
- Reference Laughter and humor make life richer and healthier. Laughter increases creativity, reduces pain, and speeds healing.
- Reference Building resilience can help you cope. Being resilient means you're able to bounce back from difficult situations or problems.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference March 1, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Patrice Burgess, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.