Problems After Delivery of Your Baby
It is important to make healthy lifestyle choices to lower your chance for problems after your delivery.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Limit your use of caffeine if you are breast-feeding.
- Eat a nutritious diet. Healthy eating will help you get the right balance of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. It will help you feel your best and have plenty of energy. If you are breast-feeding, it is important to get good Reference nutrition for you and your baby.
- Try to get 30 minutes of exercise on most, if not all, days of the week.
- Reference Do pelvic floor (Kegel) exercises to prevent urine control problems (incontinence) after childbirth.
Things to avoid if you are breast-feeding
- Smoking or using tobacco products
- Illegal drugs
- Misusing medicines
- Fish that contain high levels of Reference mercury. This includes shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, more than 6 oz (170 g) of white albacore tuna a week, or fish caught in local waters that have not tested as safe.
- Hazardous chemicals, certain cosmetic products, or radiation
Call your doctor if you have any questions about breast-feeding. This may help prevent any problems.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference November 16, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Reference H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine