Biophysical Profile (BPP)
What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- The baby is in a position that makes doing an ultrasound difficult.
- Being unable to lie still throughout the procedure, which can cause the picture of your baby to be unclear.
- Being overweight, which may make it hard to correctly position the external monitoring device.
- An infection in either you or your baby.
- Low (hypoglycemia) or high (hyperglycemia) blood sugar levels.
- Taking medicine, such as magnesium sulfate.
- Steroids given to help the baby's lungs mature.
- Using alcohol or illegal drugs, such as cocaine.
- In rare cases, stool (feces) or air in the intestines or Reference rectum Opens New Window interfering with the fetal ultrasound.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference June 18, 2012|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference William Gilbert, MD - Maternal and Fetal Medicine
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.