Main content

    Health Information

    Toxic Shock Syndrome

    Toxic Shock Syndrome

    Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare, often life-threatening illness that develops suddenly after a bacterial infection and can rapidly affect several different organ systems, including the lungs, kidneys, and liver. Because toxic shock syndrome progresses quickly, immediate medical treatment is needed.

    Toxic shock syndrome can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes (group A strep) or Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. Symptoms of TSS usually include high fever, vomiting and diarrhea, a rash that looks like a sunburn, and signs of very low blood pressure and shock, including confusion, fainting, or dizziness.

    Toxic shock syndrome can affect men, women, and children. The most familiar cases of TSS are related to tampon use, but TSS may also be a rare complication of chickenpox, flu and other respiratory infections, and wounds or injuries to the skin.

    Last Revised: February 23, 2012

    Author: Healthwise Staff

    Medical Review: E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine & Dennis L. Stevens, MD, PhD - Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease

    This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

    1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.