Before using any pesticide, make sure you really
need to use it.
Keep your food in well-sealed containers so that
insects such as ants can't get at it.
off ways that bugs can get into your house. Keep plants, firewood, and other
plant material at least
18 in. (46 cm) from your
For your gardens and yard, choose
healthy plants suited for your area and use proper cultivation methods. Pests
in your garden often can be controlled without pesticides by picking the pests off
plants or by mulching.
Realize that your lawn
does not have to be completely free of weeds and that many insects are
you do use pesticides, read the label carefully. Do not mix or
dilute pesticides indoors. And only use them outside or in
a well-ventilated area. Mix only as much as you need.
Limit your exposure to pesticides by doing the following:
Avoid using pesticides indoors.
Use nonchemical pest control whenever possible. Some
Helpful insects, such as ladybugs or praying
mantises, which eat some pests.
pesticides, such as Safers.
Traps that use
natural chemicals (pheromones) to attract
controls, such as Bacillus thuringiensis (helps with moths such as cabbage moths
and gypsy moths).
Always wear the
right protection when spraying pesticides. That might include goggles, gloves,
a dust mask, long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and a
Never spray pesticides on a windy day. Be
careful to avoid spraying flowers and bird nests, because many pesticides can
harm bees and other pollinators and birds.
Make sure you and your pets do not track outdoor pesticides into your house.
To prevent problems with termites, do not store wooden
building materials against soil.
Dispose of used pesticide containers according to the
directions on the label. Do not throw away leftover pesticides in the regular trash. Dispose of unused pesticides only on days that your trash collector designates
for hazardous waste collection, or go to a hazardous waste drop-off site.
Never store pesticides in
a soft drink bottle or other container used for food. Children may think it is
something to eat or drink.
Clean up any
pesticide spill right away by soaking it up with sawdust, kitty litter, or
vermiculite, sweeping it into a trash bag, and disposing of it as directed on
the pesticide label. Do not wash the spill away.
your exposure to moth repellents. Paradichlorobenzene is a common ingredient in
moth repellents and air fresheners. Avoid breathing any vapors containing this
If you use a pest-control company, ask for a written contract
that lists pests that will be controlled and the chemicals that will be used.
If you have questions about a product you or a company plan to
use, call the National Pesticide Information Center
toll-free at 1-800-858-PEST (1-800-858-7378), or visit their website at http://npic.orst.edu.
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.