Bupropion (Zyban) for Quitting Smoking
Why It Is Used
Bupropion is approved for use in people who smoke 10 or more cigarettes a day and are at least 18 years old. Doctors prescribe it to help people when they quit smoking.
You should not take bupropion if you:
- Are already taking other medicines that contain bupropion (such as Wellbutrin).
- Have Reference seizures Opens New Window or a medical condition that makes you prone to seizures.
- Are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI).
- Have an Reference eating disorder Opens New Window.
- Have an Reference alcohol use problem Opens New Window.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: July 6, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference John Hughes, MD - Psychiatry