Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure (LEEP) for Abnormal Cervical Cell Changes
What To Expect After Surgery
Most women are able to return to normal activities within 1 to 3 days after LEEP is performed. Recovery time depends on how much was done during the procedure.
- Mild cramping may occur for several hours after the procedure.
- A dark brown vaginal discharge during the first week is normal.
- Vaginal discharge or spotting may occur for about 3 weeks.
- Sanitary napkins should be used instead of tampons for about 3 weeks.
- Sexual intercourse should be avoided for about 3 weeks.
- Douching should not be done.
When to call your doctor
Call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:
- A fever
- Spotting or bleeding that lasts longer than 1 week
- Bleeding that is heavier than a normal menstrual period
- Increasing pelvic pain
- Bad-smelling, yellowish vaginal discharge, which may point to an infection
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: December 28, 2010|
|Medical Review:||Reference Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Reference Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology