What Increases Your Risk
The risk of developing bulimia or another eating disorder is greatest if a person:Reference 3
- Has a biological parent, brother, or sister who has an Reference eating disorder Opens New Window or who is overweight or Reference obese Opens New Window.
- Has a family history of Reference substance abuse Opens New Window.
- Is overweight and is starting a restrictive diet.
- Has certain Reference personality traits such as perfectionism.
- Struggles with Reference cultural and social factors such as admiring thinness.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference August 25, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Reference W. Stewart Agras, MD, FRCPC - Psychiatry
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.