Lung Function Tests
What Affects the Test
Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:
- Using medicine that expands the lungs' airways within 4 hours of the test.
- Using Reference sedatives Opens New Window before the test.
- Eating food or drinks that contain caffeine before the test.
- Not being able to breathe normally because of pain.
- Pregnancy, obesity, or an enlarged stomach (after a large meal, for example).
- Not being able to follow instructions or make an effort during the tests.
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: Reference April 28, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Mark A. Rasmus, MD - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Sleep Medicine
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.