Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) for Bladder Cancer
Side effects from BCG may include:
- Burning or pain with urination, a sense of needing to urinate often, or urinating small amounts often.
- Fatigue, joint aches, skin rash, or fever of less than 101°F (38°C).
- Nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite.
More severe side effects may include:
- Reference Hepatitis Opens New Window or Reference abscess Opens New Window.
- Inflammation of the lung tissue (pneumonitis).
- For men, inflammation and infection of the prostate, Reference testicles Opens New Window, or Reference epididymis Opens New Window.
- Contraction of the bladder or obstruction of the Reference ureters Opens New Window.
- Allergic reaction to BCG or disseminated Reference tuberculosis Opens New Window.
See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)
|By:||Reference Healthwise Staff||Last Revised: May 2, 2011|
|Medical Review:||Reference E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Reference Christopher G. Wood, MD, FACS - Urology, Oncology
© 1995-2011, Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.