Display Mode:

    Main content

    Health Information

    Shock in Children

    Shock in Children

    Shock may quickly occur after a sudden illness or injury. When the body loses too much blood or fluid, there is no longer enough fluid in the body to carry enough blood to the vital organs.

    A child may be in shock if one or more of the following signs are present:

    • Passing out (losing consciousness)
    • Acting confused. The child may not know where he or she is.
    • Being very sleepy or hard to wake up
    • Breathing fast
    • Not responding to being touched or talked to

    Also, a child in shock has a weak, rapid heart rate and low blood pressure.

    Shock is a life-threatening condition. Immediate medical care is required any time shock is suspected.

    Current as of: May 27, 2016

    Author: Healthwise Staff

    Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine

    This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated, disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. Learn how we develop our content.

    © 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.