Children should have many chances to play, run, bike, and play sports during the day. They should get 60 minutes of moderate activity every day.
Moderate activity makes your breathing and heartbeats speed up. Some examples are:
- Walking fast
- Playing chase or tag
- Playing basketball and most other organized sports (such as soccer, swimming, and dancing)
Younger children cannot stick with the same activity as long as an older child. They may be active for only 10 to 15 minutes at a time. The goal is still to get 60 minutes of activity every day.
Children who exercise:
- Feel better about themselves
- Are more physically fit
- Have more energy
Other benefits of exercise for children are:
- A lower risk of heart disease and diabetes
- Healthy bone and muscle growth
- Staying at a healthy weight