Difficulty with swallowing is the feeling that food or liquid is stuck in the throat or at any point before the food enters the stomach. This problem is also called dysphagia.
This may be caused by a brain or nerve disorder, stress or anxiety, or problems that involve the tube leading from your throat to your stomach-the esophagus.
What to Expect at Home
Symptoms of swallowing problems include:
- Coughing or choking, either during or after eating
- Gurgling sounds from the throat, during or after eating
- Throat clearing after drinking or swallowing
- Slow chewing or eating
- Coughing food back up after eating
- Hiccups after swallowing
- Chest discomfort during or after swallowing
- Unexplained weight loss
Symptoms may be mild or severe.