Take Control of Your Diabetes
Know the basic steps for managing your diabetes to stay healthy. Poorly managed diabetes can lead to many health problems.
Know how to:
- Recognize and treat low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Recognize and treat high blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Plan diabetes meals
- Monitor your blood sugar (glucose)
- Take care of yourself when you are sick
- Find, buy, and store diabetes supplies
- Get the checkups you need
If you take insulin, you should also know how to:
- Give yourself insulin
- Adjust your insulin doses and the foods you eat to manage your blood sugar during exercise and on sick days
You should also live a healthy lifestyle.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Do muscle strengthening exercises 2 or more days a week.
- Try speed walking, swimming, or dancing. Pick an activity you enjoy. Always check with your doctor before starting any new exercise plans.
- Follow your meal plan.
Take your medicines the way your health care provider recommends.