You have 26 bones, 33 joints and more than 100 tendons, muscles and ligaments in each foot. No wonder 75 percent of Americans experience a foot or ankle problem at some time point.
- Arthritis, injury and poorly fitting shoes cause most foot pain issues.
- Women are four times more likely to develop bunions and three times more likely to have corns, primarily thanks to fashionable shoes.
- Surveys show that obese people are 41 percent more likely to have a foot problem and 16 percent more likely to develop severe foot pain.
- Just seven in 100,000 people ever rupture their Achilles tendon. The rate soars among athletes, and nearly half of competitive runners develop tendinopathy at some point.
- Plantar heel pain accounts for more than 1 million visits to the doctor each year. Although plantar fasciitis affects just 7 to 10 percent of Americans, it accounts for 25 percent of running injuries.