SHEMS Lodging Initiative Frequently Asked Questions
As a way to support our onsite front line healthcare providers responding to the COVID-19 crisis, Sutter Health is temporarily offering free lodging near our clinical sites to eligible employees and clinicians. Through the SHEMS Lodging Initiative, we provide eligible workforce members with temporary lodging options offered by Airbnb, select hotel chains and Outdoorsy. This special benefit is for staff and clinicians who are:
- Reassigned to high-risk areas (a unit or department that is currently treating or could potentially receive and treat COVID-19 patients) or to worksites more than 50 miles away from their usual work location or
- Are working shifts longer than 14 hours or back-to-back shifts or
- Who need to self-isolate outside their home
Employees and clinicians designated as “Category 1 Essential” (required to perform their work duties at a site where care is delivered) are eligible. These work duties may include caring for patients or providing food services, housekeeping or engineering services.
- They are reassigned to a high-risk exposure area (a unit or department that is currently treating or could potentially receive and treat COVID-19 patients) or to worksites more than 50 miles away from their usual work location or
- They are working back-to-back shifts or shifts lasting more than 14 hours or
- They need to self-isolate due to COVID-19 exposure, to help protect others living at home or
- They need to self-isolate to protect themselves because someone at home is sick with the coronavirus
In these circumstances, Sutter Health will cover the cost of the lodging plus taxes and parking, if applicable.
Employees who are working remotely, away from a patient care site, are not eligible for this program. Employees who aren’t eligible may still reserve lodging and receive Sutter Health discounted rates, but they are responsible for paying for these accommodations. To do so, see instructions on the SHEMS Lodging Options (PDF) — and be sure to use the designated codes.
To request lodging, please complete and submit an online form here: SHEMS Lodging Request. A representative will respond to your request. If you have questions or need assistance, please send an email to SHEMSLodging@sutterhealth.org.
After you submit your lodging request, you will choose the lodging type and location to best match your needs and preferences — and book the reservation.
Yes, if you are eligible for free lodging and can’t find accommodations at participating hotels that are convenient to your worksite, you can book lodging elsewhere and submit the bill for reimbursement. Before booking on your own, however, you must first submit your information through this online form: SHEMS Lodging Request.