Before Labor Begins: 3 to 4 weeks before due date
What's going on?
Increased frequency of Braxton-Hicks contractions
Early effacement and dilation
Increased vaginal discharge
Leveling off or loss of weight (1-3 lbs.)
How is she feeling?
- Excited, sense of anticipation
- Has difficulty sleeping - very tired
- Has spurt of energy
What should she do?
- Simplify housekeeping
- Pack suitcase and Lamaze bag
- Conserve energy - take naps
- Preregister at hospital, if not done already
- Practice exercises, relaxation, and breathing techniques DAILY
How can I help her?
- Assist with housekeeping chores
- Encourage her to rest
- Provide diversion - take walks, eat out, etc.
- Practice relaxation and breathing techniques with her