Staying physically active improves mood, boosts energy and promotes better sleep. Staying active is especially important right now when stress is high. Fortunately, you can exercise at home with online workout routines, without any equipment or with things you already have. Before starting a new exercise routine, and especially if you have any underlying medical conditions, remember to check in with your primary care provider.
Here are some resources to help you stay active during quarantine:
- TeensHealth offers easy exercises for teens, and they’re also good for adults.
- The YMCA offers free exercise videos for adults, including cardio, strength and yoga.
- Online yoga resources abound; some are free while others are fee-based. Yoga Bharati offers free videos. Do Yoga With Me is offering two months for free during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- The National Institute on Aging offers free workout videos and a sample exercise routine.
- If you’re a senior, SilverSneakers may be part of your Medicare Advantage Plan, including on-demand fitness videos. Check your eligibility.
For motivation, consider setting up a group challenge with your friends, family and coworkers using an app such as Fitbit or Couch to 5k.
Don’t forget walking and running outdoors, too. Wear a mask in case you encounter other people, and keep at least 6 feet apart.