To avoid burns:
- Do not smoke or drink hot liquids (such as coffee) near to or while carrying your baby.
- Install smoke alarms in your home.
- Turn your hot water heater down to 120 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent accidental burns while bathing.
- Use flame-retardant sleepwear for your baby.
- Protect your baby from direct sun, and keep your baby indoors during the hottest part of the day. Cover your baby’s body with a light blanket and/or long sleeves and pants. After your baby is 6 months old use a sunscreen made for babies when taking your baby on outings. Always have your baby wear a hat as well.
- Keep electrical cords out of baby’s reach.
- Use safety caps on electrical sockets.
- When cooking, turn pot handles away from the front of the stove.