As you get older, some of your friendships will start to change, and some may grow deeper. You might also begin to know many more people, although not all of them will be close friends.
Chances are, you’ll also start to spend more time with your friends, and maybe text and talk more. Changes in relationships are natural but not always easy.
Making and keeping friends can be particularly tough if you’re shy or unsure of yourself.
To make new friends:
- Get involved in school and community activities with other people your age.
- Be friendly and helpful to people.
- Talk, listen and get to know people. Ask questions to find out if you have something in common with them.
To keep friends:
- Be supportive.
- Be encouraging.
- Don’t tease or belittle.
- Be considerate.
- Talk openly about disagreements.
- Apologize when you hurt a friend.