Eight Sutter Hospital Campuses Earn Five-Star Rating from CMS
Ratings designed to help patients and consumers make informed choices about their care
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—Eight hospital campuses within Sutter Health’s not-for-profit integrated network today earned five stars—the highest ranking possible—from The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). An additional six hospital campuses in the network earned four stars.
“Sutter Health’s integrated network encourages doctors and hospitals to work together to ensure that patients receive care that is safe, effective and personal,” said Sutter Health Vice President of Patient Safety Bill Isenberg, M.D. “This kind of collaboration is central to Sutter’s ability to meet the high standards we set in patient experience, quality of care and safety.”
The national average among all rated hospitals is three stars. Only 11.3 percent of the 3,600 hospitals evaluated across the nation received five stars, and 31.6 percent received four stars.
67 percent of Sutter hospital campuses received a rating of four or five stars, with
an average performance of four stars across our system,” said Dr. Isenberg. “This
is a tremendous achievement that reflects our commitment to our patients, their families
and the communities we serve.”
The five-star hospitals in the Sutter Health network include:
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, Alta Bates campus, in Berkeley, Calif.
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, Summit campus, in Oakland, Calif.
- Mills-Peninsula Medical Center, in Burlingame, Calif.
- Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital, in Auburn, Calif.
- Sutter Davis Hospital, in Davis, Calif.
- Sutter Roseville Medical Center, in Roseville, Calif.
- Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital, in Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Sutter Tracy Community Hospital, in Tracy, Calif.
The star ratings reflect a hospital’s overall performance on quality measures including mortality rates, readmission rates, safety of care, effectiveness of care and patient experience. The primary objective of the CMS star ratings project is to summarize information in a way that is useful and easy to interpret for patients and consumers.
The four-star hospitals in the Sutter Health network include:
- Eden Medical Center, in Castro Valley, Calif.
- Memorial Medical Center, in Modesto, Calif.
- Novato Community Hospital, in Novato, Calif.
- Sutter Amador, in Jackson, Calif.
- Sutter Lakeside, in Lakeport, Calif.
- Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, in Sacramento, Calif.
For more information on the ratings or methodology, please visit Hospital Compare.