Sutter Health Physician Organizations, Medical Programs Honored For Clinical Excellence
Three outpatient clinical programs connected to Sutter Health’s physician network, the Sutter Medical Network, recently received recognition as statewide best practices by the California Association of Physician Groups (CAPG). CAPG, a statewide leadership organization, also honored five physician organizations that participate in the Sutter Medical Network in its annual Standards of Excellence Survey.
“Placing patients at the center of our work is what the Sutter Medical Network is all about,” said Jeff Burnich, M.D., senior vice president & executive officer of the Sutter Medical Network. “When doctors partner with patients toward improved health, it enhances the high-quality, personal care they deserve—when, where and how they want to receive it—while making care more affordable.”
Studies in Excellence 2012
Published annually, this compendium authored by CAPG analyzes best practices in medical care throughout California. The 2012 guide features three clinical programs associated with the Sutter Health network.
- Variation Reduction Initiative, Sutter Health— To deliver high-quality, affordable care, physicians, medical groups and the Sutter Medical Network work together to identify opportunities to reduce variation in clinical care. Efforts so far have reduced overall care costs by more than $18 million through 2011.
- Advanced Illness Management Program, Sutter Health—Nationally recognized, Sutter Health’s AIM program makes a difficult time a little less difficult for patients at the end of their life. By sensitively accommodating patients’ end-of-life wishes and improving quality of life, patients enrolled in AIM spent less time in the hospital and more time home with loved ones.
- Improving Transitions of Care and Intensive Home Medical Management, Brown & Toland Physicians—The Brown & Toland Independent Practice Association, which is aligned with the Sutter Medical Network, created a process to help patients remain healthy after discharge from an emergency room. The program helps reduce hospital readmissions and lowers overall care costs.
Standards of Excellence Survey
CAPG also recognized several members of the Sutter Medical Network through its annual Standards of Excellence Survey. The survey evaluates the features and capabilities of medical groups across California. It focuses on how physician organizations deliver value (care quality and affordability) to individual patients and large populations. Noted Sutter Medical Network members include:
- Brown & Toland Physicians
- Sutter Medical Foundation
- Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation
- Sutter East Bay Medical Foundation
- Sutter Gould Medical Foundation
This year, 73 medical groups and independent practice associations voluntarily participated in the survey, collectively caring for nearly 11 million Californians.