The Design & Digital Innovation Program will serve as a nucleus for developing innovative solutions to urgent healthcare challenges that will influence practice throughout Sutter Health and nationwide. It is an important element in Sutter Health’s efforts to develop a more diverse portfolio of innovation projects. Using human-centered design — a practice of creative problem-solving that keeps patients at the heart of the process — the Innovation Hatchery will prototype and validate new products and services with a goal of impacting one million people. The first five areas of focus for the Innovation Hatchery will be:
- Everyday Health (Primary Care) — Enhancing primary care visits to improve patient-physician interaction and empowering patients to more proactively manage chronic disease at home
- New Life (Obstetrics) — Developing new approaches for providing families with the information and tools they need to take care of their newborn after returning home from the hospital
- Mental Health — Deploying technology to enhance patient’s access to behavioral health services available through Sutter Health and in the community
- Compassionate Hospitalization (In-patient care) — Ensuring patient comfort during a hospital stay and reducing recovery times following hospitalization
- End of Life — Identifying new ways for ensuring that patients with a terminal diagnosis experience care that honors their goals and values
Approximately 75% of the Design & Digital Innovation Program’s diverse portfolio will involve partnerships with external developers, including established technology pioneers and promising startups.