Frequently Asked Questions
At which Sutter hospitals may I volunteer?
The volunteer program at Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento (SMCS) coordinates volunteers for the campus at 2825 Capitol Ave., Sacramento, CA. If you are interested in volunteering at another Sutter hospital, you must contact that hospital directly.
Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento
2825 Capitol Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95816
How can I contact Volunteer Services for more information?
You may contact Volunteer Services by sending us an email at email@example.com or by calling (916) 887-4377. It may take a few days to receive an answer to your inquiry. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
What happens when I miss a week or two?
We greatly appreciate the time you contribute to the hospital and understand everyone will occasionally be ill, go on vacation, have an emergency or have other personal obligations. It is necessary, however, to inform the supervisor at the department. If you are going to miss more than two weeks in a row, you will need to contact the Volunteer Services Department.
When are volunteers needed?
Many different days and shift times are available. This will depend on the area of the hospital in which the volunteer is assigned.
Why should I volunteer?
People volunteer for a variety of reasons: they want to help others, explore a career in healthcare, or participate in their community. Your volunteer experience will be what you make of it. Please be aware that volunteering is no guarantee of employment at SMCS, nor does being a volunteer give you preference.
Volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Annual flu shot
- Initial 2-step and annual Tuberculosis screening and interpretation
- Hepatitis B vaccination (depending on area of service)
- Appropriate Worker’s Compensation insurance coverage while volunteer is on premises and serving within the scope of their service description
- An appropriate work space to aid volunteer in providing quality service at the medical center
- Invitation to events recognizing volunteer contribution and annual events recognizing contributions of the staff (spring picnic, volunteer appreciation week party, holiday gift, etc.)
- On-site security
- Free parking
- Gift shop discount
- Longevity gifts