The Program in Medicine and Human Values (PMHV) furthers excellence in patient care and medicine by providing bioethics education opportunities for community members and healthcare professionals.
Bioethics Webinars and Events
Our webinar series focus on effective communication skills and best practices integral for patient care. PMHV bioethics professionals provide practical solutions that healthcare providers can use in their practice. If you are a healthcare provider and would like information on viewing our educational webinar series you may contact Antonio Kruger, (415) 600-1647 or email, email@example.com.
Annual Summer Workshop
Summer Workshop 2019
New Solutions to Recurring Problems in Ethics Consultation
At the 14th annual Summer Workshop, over sixty participants from thirty-one different institutions from California and Arizona took part in the all-day education event. For details, please read Ethical Times #58. Should you have any inquiries regarding the content or details from any previous workshop, please contact our office.
PMHV staff would like to thank all participants from this year’s Workshop and those who have taken part at any time in the past fourteen years. We look forward next summer to the fifteenth annual Summer Workshop. A date and topic will be announced by January 2020.
We take pride in our long-standing international collaborations, including:
- Neuroethics Network — This project of the Neuroscience, Éthique et Société Association and hosted by Institut du Cerveau et de la Moëlle Épinière expands dialogue by promoting interdisciplinary interactions. Researchers, doctors and patients come together under one roof, fostering a vital multi-faceted approach.
- Cambridge Consortium for Bioethics Education — PMHV partners with Cambridge University Press to bring together bioethics educators from all over the world to share information on bioethics education innovation and scholarship.
- International Bioethics Retreat — At this unique meeting, invited experts in medicine, philosophy, law and health policy from around the world present current research projects. Informal sessions include audience discussion. Every year the retreat expands and strengthens the international community of bioethicists.
Clinical Ethics Fellowship Program
This one-year fellowship provides intensive practical training in clinical ethics consultation in a large community hospital with a diverse, multicultural population. We seek to provide fellows the skills and experience required for clinical ethics consultation in a healthcare setting. The program embraces the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities Core Competencies for Healthcare Ethics Consultation.
For more information about the fellowship, please email Dr. Ruchika Mishra.
Graduate Medical Education
As part of our collaboration with CPMC and Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital Graduate Medical Education, PMHV bioethicists educate doctors-in-training about how best to respond to challenging care situations. These education sessions have benefitted residents and fellows from internal medicine, psychiatry, critical care, cardiology, ophthalmology and family medicine specialties.
Ethical Times Newsletter
PMHV produces the Ethical Times Newsletter four times a year. It is written by our bioethicists and includes topics on healthcare ethics and activities of the ethics program. A recurring article, “The Ethicist is In,” describes a challenging patient case with ethical implications.
- No.59, Vol. 16, No. 4 2019 (PDF)
- No.58, Vol. 16, No. 3 2019 (PDF)
- No. 57, Vol. 16, No. 2 2019 (PDF)
- No. 56, Vol. 16, No. 1 2019 (PDF)
For information about other education options, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.