Cervix cryosurgery is a surgical treatment to freeze and destroy abnormal tissue in the cervix.
Cervix surgery; Cryosurgery - female; Cervical dysplasia - cryosurgery
Cryotherapy is done in the health care provider's office while you are awake. You may have slight cramping and flushing in the face, however cryosurgery is mostly painless.
To perform the procedure:
- An instrument is inserted into the vagina to hold the walls open so that the doctor can see the cervix.
- The doctor then inserts a device called a cryoprobe into the vagina. The device is placed firmly on the surface of the cervix, covering the abnormal tissue.
- Compressed nitrogen gas flows through the instrument, making the metal cold enough to freeze and destroy the tissue.
An "ice ball" forms on the cervix, killing the abnormal cells. For the treatment to be most effective:
- The freezing is done for 3 minutes
- The cervix is allowed to thaw for 5 minutes
- Freezing is repeated for another 3 minutes