Eyelid lift surgery is done to repair sagging or drooping upper eyelids (ptosis). The surgery is called blepharoplasty.
Sagging or drooping eyelids occur with increasing age. Some people are born with droopy eyelids or develop a disease that causes eyelid drooping.
The procedure is done as follows:
- You are given medicine to help you relax.
- The surgeon injects numbing medicine (anesthesia) around the eye so you do not feel pain during the surgery. You will be awake while the surgery is done.
- The surgeon makes tiny cuts (incisions) into the natural creases or folds of the eyelids.
- Loose skin and extra fat tissue are removed. The eyelid muscles are then tightened.
- At the end of surgery, the incisions are closed with stitches.
Eyelid surgery is done in a surgeon's office. Or it is done as outpatient surgery in a medical center.