What is Interventional Endoscopy?
An endoscope is a flexible tube, approximately as thick as a pencil, with a tiny light and camera at the tip. It is passed into the intestines, through either the esophagus or rectum, and produces an image of the intestinal tract on a color monitor. Diagnostic endoscopy allows inspection of the lining of the gastrointestinal tract utilizing an endoscope. Interventional endoscopy provides the same opportunity for gastrointestinal inspection; however, it also allows the endoscopist to perform surgical-type procedures from the inside.
A channel within the endoscope provides a conduit to introduce miniature instruments for the endoscopist's use during examination and procedures. Miniature endoscopes can be passed through the channel enabling endoscopic procedures in the bile and pancreatic ducts. Tiny ultrasound transducers are even used to examine tiny lesions within the gastrointestinal tract.
Specialists at PAMF pioneer and offer patients state-of-the-art expertise.
Which Diseases Can Be Treated with an Endoscope?
Utilizing endoscopic ultrasound, interventional endoscopy and wireless endoscopy, PAMF’s specialists are able to treat diseases and diagnose conditions using innovative , non-invasive techniques. The complex conditions we treat include:
- Barrett's esophagus
- Benign and malignant stricture
- Bile and pancreatic cancer
- Bile and pancreatic stones
- Variceal bleeding
- Non-variceal bleeding
- Fistulas and leaks
- Zenker's diverticulum
- Obesity and diabetes
- Large polyps
- Submucosal tumors
- Pseudocysts, walled off necroses (WON)
- Acute cholecystitis and gallstones
- Gastric outlet obstruction
What procedures do we offer?
At PAMF we provide advanced endoscopic treatment for the most complex conditions. The procedures offered at PAMF include:
- Internal gallbladder drainage and stone extraction
- Complex billiary and pancreatic duct therapy (ERCP)
- EUS-guided tissue sampling and nerve blocks
- Tumor ablative therapies (RFA, cryotherapy)
- Pancreatic fluid collection, drainage, and necrosectomy
- Complex stricture dilation and stricturoplasty
- Underwater endoscopy and therapy (UEMR, UESD)
- Advanced hemostasis coil and glue therapy
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG)
- Transoral incisionless fundoplasty (TIF)
- Edoluminal fundoplication
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM)
- Endoscopic partial-thickness resection (EMR and ESD)
- Endoscopic full-thickness tissue resection
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD)
- Transoral outlet reduction/bariatric surgery revision
- Advanced endoscopic imaging
- Deep enteroscopy