Our goal is to give you the tools you need to improve your health. As your health education partner, we offer a variety of classes and events. Most classes are open to the public. To enroll in a class, call (209) 826-0591, ext. 270.
Classes for Parents Expecting a Baby
- Childbirth Education —
This free six-week course provides expectant parents the tools and knowledge that
they need to make the transition from pregnancy to parenthood. Patients can enroll
at any time and are encouraged to bring their partner. Classes are held on Wednesday
evenings, from 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Spanish Child Birth Education — This one-day class, taught in Spanish, discusses the birthing process. Topics include such things as basic breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Boot Camp for Dads — This class for new and expectant fathers is taught by experienced dads who can offer helpful insight on the challenges of parenting.
- Car Seat Safety — This $20 class, which includes a brand new child car seat or child booster seat, teaches you how to correctly protect your infant or child when riding in a car. Child’s parent or guardian must attend the course. Class is offered one Saturday a month in English and Spanish. On Fridays, car seat safety checks can also be scheduled.
- Sibling Class — This free class is designed to help children prepare for the arrival of a new baby in the home. Offered once a month, and special dates and times may also be arranged.
- All Moms Matter — This program, offered at the hospital through the Merced County Human Services Agency, provides workshops and training, as well as breastfeeding support, for moms of infants.
Babysitting Class for Teens
- Safe Sitter Babysitting Class — This $25 class teaches safe and fun babysitting techniques, along with some first aid and rescue breathing. Must be at least 11 years old to attend.
Classes for Wellness
- Freedom from Smoking — This seven week class, developed by the American Lung Association covers how to quit smoking, smoking triggers, relapse prevention, stress management and more. Currently this class is offered and no charged as a community service.
- BLS Healthcare Provider Certification — Healthcare professionals can learn the basics of CPR to become certified or renew. Cost is $25.
- Heartsaver CPR — Learn the basic adult, child and infant CPR techniques through
our partnership with the American Heart Association in this $25 class. Earn your own
CPR card, which is good for two years.
Throughout the year, Sutter Health hosts and participates in several community events that encourage healthy living. These free events include:
- Community Flu Shot Clinics
- Community Health and Wellness Fairs
We also partner with national and international organizations to raise awareness of important health concerns. We have a longstanding relationship with the American Cancer Society and the March of Dimes.
Many Sutter Health events have become annual traditions within their communities. For example, the informative Women’s Health Luncheon and Lecture, hosted by Mills-Peninsula Medical Center since 2001, sells out every year; and Catwalk for a Cure, a Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation annual event since 2002, rallies community support for cancer screening and services.