When you’re recovering from a spinal cord injury, you want a team of specially trained doctors, therapists and nurses at your side to help you succeed. At Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, our caregivers give you the opportunity to gain as much independence as possible and find personal support and encouragement to begin building a new life.
Spinal cord rehabilitation can take place on an inpatient basis at a hospital, on an acute level at our Regional Acute Rehabilitation Center or on an outpatient basis. Our rehabilitation experts emphasize a comprehensive and personalized approach to recovery that not only focuses on physical care, but also your cognitive, emotional, behavioral and social well-being. We use an interdisciplinary team approach that incorporates neuropsychologists, rehab specialists, case managers and other caregivers to help put you on the path to better health.
Here are some of the services we offer:
- Balance and vestibular rehabilitation for people with vertigo, imbalance and dizziness.
- Bladder and bowel retraining.
- Family and caregiver education.
- Individualized and group treatment activities.
- Practice in-facility “apartments” where you and a family member or caregiver can practice your care routine, with support, before going home.
- Spasticity management.
- Support groups and access to community resources.
- Supportive counseling for you and your family.
- Training in self-care.
- Wheelchair mobility and ambulation training.
Throughout Northern California, our rehabilitation centers are certified by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities as adhering to the highest industry standards of excellence.