When your baby has been diagnosed with a condition that will require special care after delivery, the Special Start Program offers you and your partner a full range of support. It can be difficult when you are faced with news that your baby may have special needs. Learning about conditions and treatment options can be overwhelming. It is important for you to know that you are not alone. There are many resources and dedicated team members here for you and your family.
If you will be delivering your baby at Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, your doctor will refer you to the Special Start Program Coordinator. The coordinator will:
- Offer support and education on your baby’s health condition.
- Refer you to the special team of healthcare professionals ready to prepare you and your baby for delivery and ongoing care.
- Link you with other parents who share in your same experience.
Special Start Menu of Services:
- Up to weekly support during pregnancy and postpartum.
- Referral to special care pediatric clinics and other providers.
- Pre- and post-pregnancy support groups.
- Hospital tours, including the neonatal intensive care unit.